This is a dish for the coldest days of winter. If you are lucky enough to have a brand new Instant Pot on your counter (a saute-pan-plus-pressure cooker-in-one, for those hearing those words for the first time), we dreamed up this recipe for you! And for those with a timeless Dutch oven, we promise, it will be just as delicious the old fashioned way! See our instructions for each.
This is a very rich, deeply flavored stew. By the time it’s done cooking, the sauce is thick and redolent of star anise and cinnamon with a gentle heat from the chilies. The meat is tender and succulent.
Active Time: 30 minutes | Inactive Time: 40 minutes | Moderate | 4 Servings
2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
3 large shallots, sliced
8 ounces shiitake or cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
2 cups beef or chicken broth
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 star anise
One 2-inch cinnamon stick
2 dried red chilies
1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
2 packages (20 ounces) Umi Organic fresh ramen noodles
Steamed bok choy, mature spinach, or mustard greens, for serving
In an Instant Pot
1. In a large bowl, toss beef with flour. Press “Sauté” and add 1 tablespoon oil. When hot add half beef and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and brown remaining beef, transferring to the plate when done.
2. Add 1 tablespoon oil to Instant Pot, then add shallots and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute more. Add any flour remaining in the bowl from tossing the beef to the pot and stir to coat vegetables. Add broth and bring to a simmer, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Add beef, fish sauce, soy sauce, pepper, star anise, cinnamon, and chilies to pot.
3. Seal Instant Pot, press “Stew,” and cook 30 minutes. Quick release pressure. Add squash, seal Instant Pot again, and cook 10 more minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Remove and discard star anise, cinnamon, and chilies. See below for finishing steps.
In a Dutch Oven
1. In a large bowl, toss beef with flour. Heat Dutch oven over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Brown beef, then remove to a plate.
2. Add add 1 tablespoon oil to Dutch oven. Add shallots and mushrooms, and sauté, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and ginger, and cook 1 minute more. Add any flour remaining in the bowl from tossing the beef and stir to coat vegetables. Add broth and bring to a simmer, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Add beef, fish sauce, soy sauce, pepper, star anise, cinnamon, and chilies.
3. Cover and cook on low heat, maintaining a gentle simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until beef is tender. Add squash 30 minutes before cooking is done.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Gently pull apart and fluff noodles. Add noodles to water and boil 2 minutes, stirring often. Drain well.
5. To serve, divide noodles between bowls and top with beef, vegetables, and broth. Serve with steamed greens.