Location: Portland, Oregon
Umi Organic is a startup based in Portland, Oregon, producing organic Japanese and Asian products. We currently sell organic ramen noodles in groceries and to restaurants in Oregon and Washington and are developing a line of fresh organic Asian products featuring regional beans and grains. We are committed to values of transparency, environmental stewardship, social equity, inclusion, creativity, and fun.
We are looking for a smart and driven person interested in learning and growing with a startup business from the ground up. Umi is on the vanguard of the fresh, organic Asian category. We are looking for someone eager to help grow both our business and this category while expanding their own expertise.
The sales and distribution manager will drive sales on the ground level, acting as the face of our business at grocery demos and community events, as well as manage high level sales relationships with distributors and grocery buyers. There will be time spent interacting directly with customers, and time at the computer and on the phone coordinating with buyers and distributors.
Working in collaboration with Umi Organic CEO Lola Milholland, the Sales and Distribution Manager will build on our foundation of food service and retail accounts throughout the Pacific Northwest. This is a startup business, and like all startups, we all wear many hats. The exact job expectations will be refined as we go.
- Cultivating New and Returning Sale Relationships
- Sales Administration
- Distribution Coordination
- Demo Contractor Management
- Demoing at Stores and Events
- Maintains strong relationships with existing customers
- Develops list of target customers; proactive outreach to that list
- Working with CEO, creates expected sales volume and profit projections
- Schedules and executes sales promotions
- Manages demo calendar and demo contractors, and performs regular grocery demos
- Manages sales and promotions budget
- Manages standardized sales processes, including CRM
- Coordinates with distributors
- Occasionally staffs sales and marketing events including farmers markets
Skills and Qualifications
- Enjoys engaging with the public, outgoing, perceptive, socially adept
- Quick learner, inquisitive, good listener
- Enthusiastic about organic food and local farmers. Bonus if you love noodles and Japanese food
- Reliable, punctual, and professional
- Resourceful, good at managing detail and prioritization
- Works well with others and ability to work independently with little supervision
- Comfortable on phone
- Strong negotiation skills
- Motivation for sales and relationship building
- Solid written and oral communication
- Familiarity with excel or google sheets
- Ability to work Saturdays on occasion
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Able to setup and breakdown event displays and stand through a work shift (with required breaks)
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and ability to travel to retail locations throughout the Pacific Northwest
- Prior retail sales, brand ambassador, and/or customer service experience a plus
You will need to provide your own laptop and vehicle.
40 hours per week with flexible work hours. Expect to spend at least 2 days per week in our office.
$30,000 per year salary + mileage (federal rate). Bonus/commission based on sustained sales growth.
Please submit the following to Lola Milholland by May 1 at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Letter expressing why you are interested in this position
- Four references with names, affiliations, email and phone number